- Just blowing smoke
- December 17th, 2012
It has been a few days since we have seen the news of a mad man walk into an Elementary School and murder almost two dozen children. Most of us are still reeling in horror from this. While we are a nation that is accustomed to being so busy that we do not have a moment to blink what happened in Connecticut has everyone sickened to the point of inertia. We need time to process this. If there could ever be enough time. Sure, the opportunists are rushing to shout their message, as are the reactionaries. Right now, most of them are on the same page.
More gun control.
Well, I am kind of ok with that. To begin with. I certainly want to have that discussion. Yet the O'Bama Administration pointed out today that Gun control would only be part of the solution to the problem of what is becoming a fad for mass public murders. I agree.
After we get get some breathing space and after we get the budget crap straightened out, this is what I'd like to see. At a minimum.
1) No one under the age of 21 owns a handgun, semi-automatic anything, or shotgun. Sorry. If you're to young to make the decision to drink & drive than No I do not trust you with a firearm. Want to argue with me about armed teens the Military. Fine, having lived it, they are supervised and have to turn in their weapons to a Master-At-Arms.
2) We need to start taking Mental Illness seriously. How many of us know people that we consider “crazy” but its ok since they haven't hurt anyone “yet”? Maybe we should do something about that?
3) As parents we have to stop letting our kids play first person shooter games. These games are about killing human beings. Graphically. Why the hell are you letting your kid play them? Because their friends do? Seriously?
4) The 'Assault Weapon” ban is just fodder for the mob. Historically,it did nothing. Pass it again, I don't care. , BUT it wouldn't hurt to legally track who tries to buys these weapons and things like bullet proof vests/body armor. Why would someone need that stuff?
5) What about a waiting period, with a guaranteed refund, for gun purchases? ( Unless there's IMMINENT DANGER waiver). Say 5 weeks? That should reduce a lot of the impulse buys.
6) Education- Damn straight. Owning a weapon. Firearm, crossbow, taser or sword, is a responsibility. Lock those things up. Make it a law if anyone under 21 reside in the house.
7) For Petunia's sake, teach your children if they want to get back at anyone the best thing to do is just WALK AWAY forever.